Monday, February 6, 2012

Synethesia in Art

After reading the Wiki blurbs about "Synethesisa" and "Synethesia in Art" I have a better understanding on what this 'extra sense' is and what causes it. However, on of the things I found most intersting is how artists with Synesthesia incorporate their ability into something tangeable for everyone else.

Naturally there are some people who will have a vision or exterience and translate that into art but the one anecdote that stuck out to me was how Marcia Smilack uses her synestheic skill to take photos. She used the example of looking down and a reflection in water, ever-changing with ripples and waves. She would wait for the moment of a synestheic experience to act as a signal for her to take the picture.

"I trust it to be a reliable signal that tells me it is the right time to take the picture... I think of my synesthetic responses as vital messengers that arrive faster than thought to deliver one urgent message which I always heed: beauty is lurking."

I think that this method in particular can bleed over into my own work in this class and in the future. This technique is not limited to synesthetics. Sure, they may have some extra-sensory perception that benefits them, but essentially what Marcia was doing was trusting her gut and waiting for particular moments and just going with it. Nothing is certain, especially in experimental film and I think a little happen-chance is a good and nessessary step in filmmaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment