Monday, February 20, 2012

Project 1 - Scratching on Film

In this class we are essentially working on many different projects similtaneously so it can be hard to keep track of everything...

Last week I began my portion of scratching/painting onto film. Kenny (my partner) had already begun the process but he left about half the strip blank for me to experiment with. Our 9ft length of film has a single shot of a lie-detector test reading off results... Kenny bascially decided to leave the dials and buttons section untouched and scratch/color the portion where the needle recorded results onto paper. I liked his philosophy and decided to continue with it..

Another technique I adopted from kenny was scratching on film, then coloring it over with chalk. I think this creates a nice effect and i think it will look even better once projected. So I continued onward scratching down our strip but where kenny's artistry is a bit chaotic, mine is a little more geometric and planned. I would take a shape or design and let it 'grow' frame by frame and kindof develope on its own with whatever felt right. Although mine has many different progressions, i would say that each series is related in some way or at least flows into the next. Additionally I used a few different colored chalks to color in my scratches... I tried to maintain a 'natural' feel with lots of blues, greens and some cosmic purples and reds thrown in.

As we finish up this portion of project one I would like to play a bit more with the sound portion of the film... maybe get some scratches in there to distort it a bit... Id also like to add some paint and more colors

No comments:

Post a Comment